I’ve pretty much been the most useless friend to some of my besties who have become a new mom in the last year, so figured I should create this list so I am prepared next time ;)
A short list of how to REALLY help a new mom
- Take their other kids somewhere for a few hours or even the whole day
- Bring food nutritious food for tired parents
- Organise someone to clean the house but make sure they are only there for a short time
- Watch their baby while they take a nap or babysit while your friend showers, then put both your friend and her baby to bed!
- Take mom and baby for an outing out of the house plan a little adventure for your friend and her new baby, making sure its nearby and obviously baby friendly
- Go to the grocery store for her or offer to watch her baby while she goes to the grocery store
- Offer to run errands with or for her
- Don’t stay too long new moms usually want their privacy and space
- wash your hands before holding the baby without having to be asked
- Ask “how can I help” but be more specific… like “I’m at Baby City do you need anything?”
If you have any more ideas please send them to me!